Coconut Lemon Bars Recipe
It’s sweet Friday again! I hope you’ve had a great week and saved up your energy for the weekend. If you need a little extra sugar to kick up that energy, this is it!
This week, I present you with bright and refreshing Coconut-Lemon Bars. These babies come with a crunchy top, a gooey center and a buttery shortbread crust. The tartness of the lemon balances out the sweetness and buttery-ness so it is not too heavy on the palate. The coconut not only adds another dimension to the flavors but also gives a lovely contrast in texture with the crispy top.
If you’re a lemon bar purist, just take out the coconut flakes and coconut extract, and keep the bars baking for 30-35 minutes straight, until a toothpick comes out clean. They are so easy and people just LOVE them, both with or without coconut.
Adapted from My Daily Morsel
Crunchy top, gooey center and a buttery shortbread crust!
- 1/2 cup (112g) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (30g) Icing Sugar
- 1 cup (125g) All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tbsp (1/2 Lemon) Lemon Zest
- 1 cup (200g) Sugar
- 2 1/2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 tbsp (1 Lemon) Lemon Zest
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp Coconut Extract
- 3 tbsp (23g) Unsweetened Medium Coconut Flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment and brush with butter.
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sifted sugar for 1 minute on medium speed. Add sifted flour, lemon zest and continue to beat until incorporated.
- Press the crust evenly into the prepared pan with your hands. Set aside.
- Whisk together all the ingredients except coconut flakes and pour into the square pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, sprinkle coconut flakes evenly over top and bake for another 20 minutes, until the top starts to brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
For pure lemon bars, leave out the coconut extract, coconut flakes and bake the bars for 30-35 minutes straight, until a toothpick comes out clean. Finish with a dusting of 2 tbsp (15g) icing sugar.