Brown Butter Asparagus and Shiitake Spaghetti Recipe
So this was the story. I went to Vancouver Olive Oil Company because I desperately needed to get some more of their Fig Balsamic Vinegar. (I’ll be posting a review of them soon, stay tuned!) I really am hooked on that stuff, and probably will take it with me if there is a fire.
Anyway, back to the story.
So I was there, and since they’re a tasting bar, of course I can’t leave without trying out a few more of their products.
That was the moment.
I came across their mushroom & sage-infused olive oil and gave it a little taste. I kid you not, time stopped for a second and a picture of delicious pasta popped into my head. It was like meeting someone and in that first second, you know you two will be good friends.
My new friend did not let me down. This friend is the kind that you like more and more as you get to know her.
You lean in and the beautiful scent of mushroom and sage welcomes you. The scent amplifies as you take a bite and wait, what’s that?! It’s crunchy bits of smoky bacon, along with asparagus and shiitake mushrooms that are wonderfully flavoured with the brown butter and infused oil.
Worried about weight? The usual impression when it comes to pasta is that it’s carb laden and fattening but this one here turns out to be fairly healthy. First of all, it’s not made with a cream sauce. Also, the two ingredients people tend to worry about (bacon and butter) are used in small amounts and cooked in ways to maximize their flavours.
I recommend only 2 oz dry pasta per serving because beyond that, your taste buds are desensitized to the flavours anyway and you won’t be able to appreciate it fully. Instead of just having more of the same, have a soup or salad to go with it for a full and satisfying meal!
Wonderfully fragrant pasta with brown butter, asparagus, shitake and sage.
- 1 cup Dried Shiitake Mushrooms, soaked in water, soaking water reserved
- 200g Asparagus, trimmed of woody ends, sliced on a diagonal about 2-inches in length
- 2 slices Bacon
- 8 oz Spaghetti
- 2 tbsp (28g) Unsalted Butter
- 3 leaves Fresh Sage, optional
- 3 tbsp Mushroom and Sage Olive Oil, or regular Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp White Wine
- In a frying pan, cook bacon until crisp. Set aside and crumble when cooled.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta and add 2 tbsp of salt. Cook pasta according to packaged directions.
- In a large skillet, heat butter (with 3 leaves of fresh sage, if using) over medium-high heat, until butter browns and gives off a nutty aroma. You will see the butter foam up two times and then start to turn brown. Be careful not to burn the butter. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to stop the browning process.
- Add Asparagus, shiitake mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add 2 tbsp of the reserved mushroom water and white wine, cook for another 2 minutes to burn off alcohol.
- When pasta is cooked, strain and toss with asparagus and shiitake mushrooms. Remove from heat and drizzle remaining 2 tbsp Olive Oil, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, toss and plate. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon to serve.
Feel free to add 3 leaves of fresh sage if you could not find sage infused Olive Oil.