Ground Turkey with Golden Egg Tofu Recipe
Mother’s day is coming up! I hope you’ve gotten all your gifts, cards and flowers in order for your mommys! And if you are the mom yourself? I hope you get spoiled big-time because you know you deserve it!
This will be the first year that I can take some advantage of Mother’s Day. I know I know, baby is still inside me, but that’s not gonna stop me from dropping hints to Mr. H. (We had to play “guess what Joyce wants?” for a little while to make sure he really got it.)
In other news, I’m still quite tired most of the time and just waved no to two different kinds of birthday cakes at the office today…yup, the sweet aversion is still going strong unfortunately. So today will be another quick and easy-on-the-stomach recipe.
Have you ever cooked with egg tofu? They come in tubes instead of the regular cubes or rectangles so make sure you buy the right kind! They’re very easy to prepare, you can cut the tube straight in half, gently slip the tofu out from both sides and slice into rounds.
This ground turkey and egg tofu dish has tofu that has been pan-fried to a perfect golden colour, topped with saucy and savoury ground turkey which adds extra flavour to the tofu. I hope you like this new addition to my “Anything-but-Boring-Stir-Fry Series”!
Adapted from Smoky Wok
Tofu pan-fried to a perfect golden colour, topped with saucy and savoury ground turkey!
- 3 tbsp Oil, divided
- 2 tubes Egg Tofu, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 Scallions, leave green portion for garnish, minced
- 8oz Extra Lean Ground Turkey
- 2 tbsp Rice Wine
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Cornstarch, mixed with 2 tbsp Cold Water
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Gently place egg tofu into the skillet, leave undisturbed for 5-10 minutes for a golden crust to develop.
- Test with one piece of tofu and if a crust has developed, gently flip the tofu over to cook the other side for another 5-10 minutes, until golden. Plate tofu on serving dish.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to the skillet and over medium-high heat, cook garlic and scallions for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add ground turkey and stir-fry quickly to break apart. Add rice wine, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and stir-fry for 3 minutes, until well incorporated.
- Turn heat up to high, add 1/2 cup water and cook until water has evaporated by half.
- Stir the constarch mixture and add to the skillet. Quickly stir for the sauce to thicken. Pour ground turkey onto tofu and sprinkle with reserved scallions to serve.
Tip: I find the easiest way to flip the tofu without breaking it is to push it towards the edge of the pan with your flipper, the tofu should slide up against the edge and and flip onto your flipper.